Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Vacations

It is no secret that B and I love to travel. He travels all of the time for work - I do not. I love to see new things and experience new cultures.

I am 50% Cuban. My mom is 100% Cuban and grew up in the states.

We are planning to go to CUBA. You see, my grandparents are from Cuba, and my mom while being 100% Cuban was born in the states. She spent her childhood summers and holidays in Cuba - but it has been 50 years since she has set foot on the island.

All my life I have been curious to see where I am "from". Most people and visit where their family is from - obviously as an American I have yet to go to Cuba to see where hald of me is from. I have asked my grandfather numerous times if he would ever want to go back and up until now the answer was a resounding NO.

After our wedding he told us that he wanted to go see family. I think our wedding really hit home about family to him. He wanted to bring his grandchildren to see our history and to meet his family that still lives there. Aunts, uncles and cousins. My great grandparents both lived in the states until their death. My grandmother passed away when I was 14.

He is our link to our past. We are in the process of getting family visas or whatever they are called - so that we can visit family and see Cuba not as a tour group but as a family seeing our history. There are two kinds of Visas and the one we want is the one that allows us to be there NOT as a tour group. These are harder to get and we have to prove that family lives there.

I am excited, nervous and thrilled that this may actually happen.

Never in my life did I think that I would be able to see Cuba through my grandfather's eyes.

So this trip is in the baby stages, but I cannot wait!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

What an amazing adventure! I can't wait to hear all about it. I'm glad you're going.